Monday, March 21, 2011

The Minority Community

I had gone out shopping with my mother, a few months back, and I witnessed something, which perhaps, keep happening around us, but which we fail to observe. It is about this peculiar nature of instant bonding, that aged people seem to strike-up between themselves.
As we were seated in a bus, I noticed my mother smiling at a lady, approximately her age, who was having difficulty alighting the bus. As The lady smiled back at my mother, I was a bit perplexed and asked her, if the lady was an acquaintance. My mother retorted that this was the first time that she had set eyes on this lady.
That very day, as we were, waiting for the jewelery to be packed, at the jewelry shop, entered an aged lady, with a teenager, who plonked on the sofa next to us, and promptly engaged herself in an intense conversation over her cellphone, blissfully unaware of the surroundings. Very soon, the same ritual followed. The lady smiled at my mother, my mother smiled back and the struck up a conversation, with the ease, resembling the ease between two school friends, meeting after years. Soon their conversation inevitably steered towards the ills of the cell phone fixation of the present generation, and its impending doom on the social relationship structure.
This bonhomie, amongst complete strangers, left me somewhat baffled, as we were a generation, that, hardly ever ventured to do anything, without a reason, or a dime, oops, rhyme. We hardly, had the time or the inclination, to greet total strangers. And come to think of it, Why should we? There were so many stressful situations to attend to, in our everyday schedules, when we had time between our phone calls. How did these people manage to take things so easy, relax and loosen up, under such stressful day to day existence? Maybe, like all other minority communities, they loved to huddle together and bond big time.... I comforted, myself....However, Even as I pondered, at my realization, I observed that it was laced with a tinge of jealousy. I wistfully acknowledged to myself, that this bonhomie was something, that I would have gladly liked to share, but was something, that perhaps, I would never achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Till Death Do Us Part

The faint glow of the setting sun glistened on the ripples of the Jhelum, as the ripples moves away one by one. The wind coming from the ...